The history of table-tennis
As early as 1902 "Ping Pong" was played at W.P.R.C This less energetic version of modern Table Tennis was played for a few years on a table set up in the Concert Hall.
The first attempt to form a Table Tennis Section was made in 1934 but this and a subsequent attempt, in 1947, came to nothing and it was not until 1961 that a Section was finally established. In its first season the first team gained promotion to Division One of the Mid Cheshire Table Tennis League as Second Division Champions. In the following year,1962, W.P.R.C. staged the final of the Mid Cheshire League Challenge Trophy.
The 1960s was a successful decade for the first team captain and section Secretary, Alf Beckwith. As well as gaining representative honours with the Cheshire team, Alf was the winner of the veterans Cup between the years 1967 and 1969 and was runner up in 1970 and 1972. The latter year was also a time of triumph for the team as the league title was secured, a feat repeated in 1977.
Success in the Mid Cheshire Knockout competition was achieved in consecutive years between 1972 and 1976.
Individual honours were won in the 1970s by Roger Eaton, who won the Mid Cheshire Singles title in 1973. The following year, he was runner up to his Winnington colleague, D Whitlow. Both players in the same year joined forces to win the Mid Cheshire Doubles title. Roger Eaton's success continued into the 1980s and in 1985 he won the Veterans title, as well as representing the Mid Cheshire League. Team success was achieved in 1989 by the first team when the Mid Cheshire Division One title was secured. The strength in depth of the Table Tennis Section was shown in the same season by the fact that three of the Winnington teams played in Division One while the fourth team won Division Two and so gained promotion to the top flight.